Steps to starting a new trapping event:
- Make sure the traps are scrubbed out and clean.
- Check for any previous damage to the traps and repair, if necessary.
- For True-Catch traps, make sure you have locked a carabiner on the back of the trap so the cat cannot escape there.
- Put a new pee pad setup using clean materials that you normally use.
- In Texas, in the summer, you want to make sure you have plastic to put under the trap and diatomaceous earth to put a circle around the trap. Ants are bad in the summer.
- Make sure you have clean covers to give the cats shade and a sense of safety and clean food cups to bait the traps.
- Food to put in the trap is also an issue here in Texas, so you may want to use yummy smelling dry food.
Sadly, in Texas, the start of our warm season is a good time to trap because Mama’s have usually weaned any kittens they may have and it is safe, for the kittens, to take Mom. Here is a pic of my clean traps, covers, pee pads and food cups ready to be installed I my next outing.